Saturday, January 3, 2009

Another Use for Post-it Notes

My friend Michelle asked me a good question. When I get a new cooking magazine in the mail, how do I keep track of all the recipes I want to make? Do I mark the pages or tear out the recipes? My answer, honestly, was that I either make the recipe right away or not at all. But as I thought about it, this seemed like a lame and inefficient way of dealing with all the great recipes I come across. I feel like there is never enough time to make all the recipes I find, but I still have days when I can't think of anything to make or nothing I think of sounds interesting or delicious. So I have to go flip through some old magazines and an hour later I finally find something that I want to make.
So now I have a new strategy. Post-it notes! I'll slap a post-it on the front of the magazine and write down all the recipes from that issue that sounded good or that I wanted to try. It's an interesting exercise because as I flip through the magazine I find myself only writing down the recipes that I can truly picture myself purchasing the ingredients for and making. Although the sausage, roasted red pepper and spinach torta rustica combines bread, meat and veggies in a quiche-style dish that I would certainly enjoy, I'm not compelled to make it. On the other hand, the mac with two cheeses is more appealing to me - maybe because the second cheese is goat (first cheese is cheddar) and it's topped with caramelized shallots. Whatever the logic, it reduces the number of recipes I'm willing to try to about three per issue.
I have five years of Cooking Light and one year of Bon Appetit to go through and apply my post-it scheme. Maybe I should hire an intern.

No comments:

Post a Comment