Saturday, December 6, 2008

The Immersion Blender

My mom and I went out for a little Black Friday shopping and left my dad in charge of lunch. He was making sambar, a sort of lentil soup. When we came home from a full morning of shopping, we enjoyed the sambar with dosas, an Indian style crepe. It was only in the post lunch cleanup that my mom discovered just what he had done. He had ruined her immersion blender.
My immersion blender is one of my favorite kitchen tools. It's highly useful for making soups because you don't have to pour the soup into a blender to puree it. Just place the blades of the immersion blender into the pot and turn it on, stirring the handle so the entire pot is pureed. Then the blade attachment is easily removed to go into the dishwasher. My immersion blender has other attachments in addition to the blender blade - a whisk and a mini food processor/chopper. Without an attachment, the motor is pretty useless. Except where my dad is concerned. When he picked up the motor to puree his sambar, he did not realize that the blade attachment was needed and he dunked the entire motor into the sambar. Somehow it managed to puree without electrocuting him. It would be an embarrassing story if it had.
My mom was livid. There were bits of lentil in her blender motor and she could not exactly rinse them out with water. The sambar had already dried by the time she found the blender so she made my dad scrape out the dried bits, wipe it out with a damp cloth, and use a hair dryer to remove any trace of moisture from the motor.
If nothing else, my mom can hold this over my dad's head for years to come, or at least until the next time she burns the rice.


  1. It's good to know that I'm not the only one in the family that does stupid things from time to time.